Saturday, February 9, 2013

Fire and Air

Running, My body runs mindlessly as I struggle to catch my breath. The smoke around me chokes my lungs. My mouth hangs open in a silent scream. I can feel my muscles straining trying to pull oxygen from the air, but its useless. My foot kicks something in the dark. A small grunt comes from the mound on the floor. Panic fills my heart. It  feels like my heart was being ripped from my chest. "Finn," My arms reach for the tiny body laying in front of me. I pick up his small frame hug him to my chest and begin to run again. "I thought I was the only one in the house." the thought runs frantically through my head. I push it down. There is nothing else I can do, I have to get out.

I can see flames in front of me. Which means fresh air. I stop, giving my legs a second of reprieve.  I try desperately to see through the smoke and flames to find a place to escape. Then I see a flash of light cross a window to my right. I look around for anything to take the blow. But there is nothing. I don't have any time so  I just go for it. I tuck Finn as close to my body as I can, and run. As my body closes in on the window I turn my shoulder and duck my head. A flash of pain rushes through my body as it comes in contact with the window. The deafening sound of glass shattering pierces my ears. I trip and we tumble through the gaping hole.  We are followed by the hungry flames as they devour the fresh air we have allowed inside. I tuck and roll as I hit the ground trying desperately to protect Finn. But as I roll I hear a sickening snap and he screams out in pain. My mind can take it no longer, air I just need air! My eyes close as I slip from this nightmare into the darkness of my mind.




hmm thats what came out as i sat to write...

4 comments:

  1. Wow. You make me feel like I'm right in the fire with you. Keep it up and don't give up on this writing, Is Finn alright? Will they both make it?

    ReplyDelete